- To make the pumpkin and potato cake, peel and slice potatoes and pumpkin thinly. Put cream, garlic and butter in a saucepan and simmer.
- Layer the potatoes and pumpkin in a greased roasting dish, season each layer with salt and pepper, and add a ladle of cream. Repeat layers, with the last of the cream poured over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45-55 minutes on 180°C. Meanwhile, make the jus by placing all jus ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer, reduce by half. Remove the rosemary after reducing. Keep warm. For the lamb rack crust, put all ingredients into blender and blitz, adding a little warm water so the mix is semi-dry. Set aside.
- Clean the lamb racks and portion to three to four cutlets per serve. Sear racks until golden brown on each side. Add crust by spreading over lamb, then bake at 180°C for 15-20 minutes. Rest for 5 minutes.
- Cut pumpkin and potato cake into square or wedge. Serve with lamb rack alongside, and jus drizzled over the top.
Pascal Williams-Gillot, Head Chef. Monteith's Brewery Bar, Merrin St, Christchurch.