- Melt butter over stove and add washed and sliced leeks, peeled and diced potatoes, garlic, sugar and herbs to a pot.
- Cover and cook gently until leeks and potatoes are soft.
- Stir stock into water, and add to the soup.
- Taste and season if necessary.
- Bring to boil and cook over a low heat for 30 minutes.
- Soup can be left chunky or pureed. Add a little cream to each plate when serving.
For a vegan variation, substitute the butter for olive oil, the chicken stock for veggie stock and omit the cream.