- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Beat egg whites and sugar in a clean mixer bowl on maximum speed for 10 minutes or until thick and stiff peaks form.
- Mix vinegar, Hansells Vanilla Paste and cornflour together. Beat into egg white mixture and continue beating for a further 4 minutes or until the meringue is very thick and glossy.
- Mark a 20 centimeter circle on a piece of baking paper. Place baking paper on an oven tray. Spoon Pavlova mixture to within 2 centimeters from the marked circle, smoothing the top.
- Place in the preheated oven then reduce temperature to 100°C. Bake for 1 hour. Turn oven off and leave to cool in oven.
- Pile whipped cream on top of Pavlova, spreading almost to the edge.
- Arrange strawberries and berries on top and drizzle with melted chocolate.
Whip cream until soft peaks form. Fold in Hansells Vanilla Paste. Cut strawberries in half, leaving hulls on. Melt chocolate in the microwave or over hot water. Leave to cool.
Have egg whites at room temperature. This gives a better volume when the whites are beaten.
When beating egg whites to make a meringue, make sure the bowl is clean and grease free otherwise the egg whites will not beat to a good foam.
Use a cake tin to mark the 20 centimetre circle on baking paper.
Cooling the pavlova in the oven helps keep it dry and prevent cracking. Sudden changes in temperature cause the pavlova meringue to crack.
Don't fret too much if the pavlova does crack. The cream will hide the cracks.