Mum's Mince on Toast
We’ve noticed that some of the ‘tonier’ cafes around town have started offering this underrated and timeless meal again. This recipe takes your Mince on Toast to a whole new level.
View the method
- 500g Prime Beef Mince
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp hot English mustard
- pinch curry powder (you choose the intensity)
- salt and pepper to season
- bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ cup flour
Back to ingredients
- Heat a splash of oil in a large frypan and cook the onion until soft and transparent. Add the mince and brown well for 10 to 15 minutes. Break up any large pieces.
- Dice carrot, parsnip and celery into 1 cm pieces, so that the vegetables cook evenly. Add vegetables to the pan and sauté with mince for a further 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of warm water and simmer for 15 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- Mix the flour with a little more water to make a paste, then add to the mixture and stir through well. You’ll have a lovely rich gravy as a result.
- Serve on a thick piece of wholegrain toast or another favourite bread.
- This is even better if prepared the day before. Leaving the flavours to infuse overnight creates an even better brunch experience.