Beef and Beetroot Burgers
Looking for a healthier burger? You will love these…
- 500g lean minced beef
- 1 small red onion, peeled and chopped in half
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped into four
- 1 can beetroot or packet of vacuum-packed beetroot
- 2 slices wholegrain bread (or ½ cup breadcrumbs)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp horseradish sauce (optional)
- Oil for cooking
- Put the normal chopping blade into your food processor and place the onion, carrot, and bread into the food processor bowl, pulse until finely chopped.
- Add the beetroot to the food processor (dry the beetroot with a paper towel before adding it in and if you are using canned beetroot, rinse it thoroughly then dry). Pulse together with the other ingredients until it’s chopped into small pieces.
- Place the mince into a large bowl and add the chopped vegetables, then add the egg, mustard, ketchup, horseradish (if using) and mix together.
- Make the mixture into 6-8 patties then fry them in a little oil in a non-stick pan until browned on both sides and cooked through.
To serve: Burger bun, lettuce, cheese, tomato, gherkins, or any of your favourite burger toppings
Note: The mixture will be slightly softer than a normal burger mix that is just made with mince, but if it is too soft, add another ½- ¾ cup of breadcrumbs or a few tablespoons of oats.