Beef and Chickpea Casserole
A wonderful winter recipe that uses pulses and plenty of veggies as well as meat for extra goodness.
View the method
- 500g beef rump
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp dried sage or small handful fresh sage leaves
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large or 2 small parsnips, peel and chopped
- 1/4 large pumpkin, peeled and chopped
- 2 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup reduced-salt beef stock
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (1x 400g can, drained)
- 1 cup peas (frozen is fine)
- 2-3 large handfuls spinach
- Zest of 1 large lemon
Back to ingredients
- Coat the beef chunks in the flour and put on one side.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onion and sage. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Add the beef to the pan and brown very slightly for a few minutes, then add the carrot, parsnip, pumpkin, canned tomatoes, tomato paste and stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce and simmer.
- Cook over a low heat with a lid on for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is soft and vegetables are well cooked. Check and stir every 20 minutes or so and add an extra splash of water if needed.
- Add chickpeas,peas and spinach and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Add lemon zest, stir through and serve!
Serve with brown rice, mashed kumara or potato, mashed beans (e.g butter beans) and lots of green veggies.