Beef and Potato Rosti Stacks
A breakfast meal to satisfy hearty appetites. Send them out with this before the weekend rugby match and the protein and carbs will help to set up a try before you know it.
View the method
- 2 large floury potatoes e.g. Agria, grated
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp flour
- 250g Prime Beef Mince
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 420g can diced tomatoes
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to season
Back to ingredients
- Heat your oven to 180°C.
- First make the rosti potato cakes. Squeeze all the water you can out of the grated potato, then mix together with the milk, parmesan, egg and flour to form a batter.
- Set aside to chill in the fridge whilst you make up the beef patties.
- Simply mix together the beef mince, breadcrumbs, tomato paste and fresh parsley – season with salt and pepper. Form a patty from a small handful of the mixture, then dust with a little flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Makes approximately 8 generous sized patties, but adjust size and number to suit.
- In a lightly oiled pan, fry patties until golden brown and cooked right through. Remove from the pan, cover and keep warm.
- Heat a little more oil in the same pan and drop tablespoons of the potato batter into the pan to form rosti. Flip once golden and cook the other side. Remove from the pan and place on a lined baking tray in the oven to cook through for another 10 minutes – this will ensure that the potato is cooked right through and rosti are crispy! Keep an eye on them though.
- To make a quick tomato sauce, fry the onion and garlic in a splash of oil until soft. Add the diced tomatoes and parsley and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 10 minutes. Then remove from the heat, blend with a handheld mixer, season to taste with salt and pepper, and add a little more fresh parsley.
- To make up stacks, place rosti on a warmed plate and top with the beef patty, then repeat to form a tower. Drizzle with the fresh tomato sauce and serve with grilled mushrooms.