Best Chilli Con Carne
You might think your mum's is best, but believe us - this chilli recipe reigns supreme!
View the method
- 2 brown onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 carrots
- 2 sticks of celery
- 2 red capsicums
- olive oil
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 x 400 g tin of Pams chickpeas
- 1 x 400 g tin of Pams red kidney beans
- 2 x 400 g tin of Pams chopped tomatoes
- 500 g beef mince
- 15g fresh coriander
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Back to ingredients
- Peel and finely dice onions, garlic, carrots and celery. Cut the capsicums in half and remove the stalks and seeds then roughly chop.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a big pot on a medium-high, add the chopped vegetables, chilli powder, cumin, cinnamon and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper, then cook until softened, stirring.
- Drain and add the chickpeas and kidney beans, tip in the tomatoes, breaking them up with the back of a spoon, then pour in 1 tin's worth of water. Add the mince, breaking up any larger bits.
- Pick off the coriander leaves and put aside for garnish, then finely chop and add the coriander stalks to the pan, with the balsamic vinegar. Season with another pinch of sea salt and pepper.
- Bring the whole mixture to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer with the lid cracked 1 hour, or until thickened and reduced.
- Serve with rice or couscous, with some guac and lime on the side for squeezing over. Sprinkle over the reserved coriander.