Bounty Meatloaf with a Kumara, Parmesan and Parsley Crust
This is a delicious meatloaf packed with vegetables, flavour and topped with tangy kumara and parmesan.
View the method
- 500g Prime Beef Mince
- 500g sausage meat - best you get this from a good butcher
- olive or vegetable oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 kumara, diced
- 2 cherry tomatoes, halved
- handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- handful fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fruit chutney
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup milk
- knob butter
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan
Back to ingredients
- Grease a loaf tin and heat your oven to 180C.
- In a large lidded frypan heat olive oil and then add onion and garlic and cook over a gentle heat until transparent. Salt carrot and potato lightly then toss into the pan, cover and cook until just tender - watch they don't burn (a little caramelisation is just lovely). Should take around 10 to15 minutes on a medium heat. Remove from the heat and allow cooling.
- While the carrot and potato are cooking, put the diced kumara in a pan of cold salted water and bring to the boil. Cook until you are able to mash with a fork. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the minced beef, sausage meat, chutney, handful of parsley and thyme, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste. Make sure you blend everything well and it’s best to use your clean hands to do this. Add the cooled carrot and potato and blend well. Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and spread it evenly.
- Bake the meatloaf in the oven for 40 minutes – until well cooked. Remove from the oven.
- While the meatloaf is in the oven, drain the kumara, then in a bowl add the milk, butter, parmesan, and the second parsley measure and whip until creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Dot the kumara on the meatloaf or use a piping bag to create a swirl. Top each swirl with a cherry tomato and pop back into the oven for another 10 minutes. Then remove from the oven, let it sit for 10 minutes to firm up before slicing and serving.