Caramelised Onion Galette
Serve this delicious, buttery galette with a side of dressed mixed greens or peppery rocket for a great al fresco lunch or dinner option. Make double the onion recipe and keep some in the fridge for cheese platters or pizza toppings!
View the method
- For the Caramelised Onion:
- 2 tablespoons Pams olive oil
- 4 medium sized Pams Fresh Organic Onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon Pams brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Pams balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- For the Galette:
- 2 sheets Pams puff pastry
- 1 cup Pams button mushrooms, sliced
- 3-4 large heirloom tomatoes
- 100g goats cheese
- 1 Pams free range egg, lightly beaten
- Handful thyme sprigs
Back to ingredients
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Slice tomatoes and lay out on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and place paper towels on top to absorb excess moisture. Leave while you make the caramelised onions.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and thyme and cook, stirring often.
- After 5 minutes, add sugar and salt. Continue to cook until the onions are a beautiful golden caramel colour – about 10 more minutes. Set aside and begin assembling your tart.
- Lay the pastry on a sheet of baking paper on a long baking tray. Join the two sheets together by pressing two edges into each other to make a seam.
- Spoon the onion mix onto the centre of the pastry, leaving a few centimeters around the edge. Arrange mushrooms and tomatoes on the onion, then crumble goats cheese generously over the top.
- Roll the edges of the pastry over the filling and brush with egg wash.
- Place in the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes until pastry is golden brown.
- Once cooked, garnish with some extra thyme sprigs, slice and serve!