Easy Cheesy Burgers
These burgers are much cheaper than store-bought takeaways. Fast and tasty for dinner or a weekend lunch. Get the kids to build their own burger with their favourite salad ingredients.
View the method
- 750 grams lean mince
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs, optional
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 slices wholegrain bread, made into crumbs
- 1/2 cup tomato or BBQ sauce
- 1 bag green salad mix
- 1 tin sliced beetroot, drained
- 3 carrots, grated
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 8 hamburger buns, look for wholegrain buns
Back to ingredients
- In a large bowl, mix mince, cheese, herbs, onion, egg, breadcrumbs and sauce.
- Make into 8 even-sized hamburger patties.
- Spray a non-stick pan with a little cooking oil.
- Cook hamburgers in the pan for about 7 minutes on each side until cooked (burgers are cooked when juices run clear and they are no longer pink in the middle). Cook on a moderate heat so they don't burn on the outside before they cook on the inside.
- Serve burgers on toasted hamburger buns with salad, grated carrot, onion rings and sliced beetroot.