Hot Cross Buns
Nothing else reminds us of Easter more than the smell of fresh hot cross buns bursting with fruit and spices.
View the method
- 3 tsp instant yeast
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 4 cups plain flour (additional)
- 3 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp Gregg's Ground Mixed Spice
- 1 Tbsp Gregg's Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Gregg's Ground Nutmeg
- 50g butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups mixed fruit
- 1 cup lukewarm water (additional)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (for glazing)
- 1/4 cup plain flour (for the crosses)
- 2 tsp caster sugar (for the crosses)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp water (for the crosses)
Back to ingredients
- Place the yeast, 2 Tbsp flour, sugar, and ¼ cup water in a small bowl. Leave in a warm place for approximately 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Place the extra flour, caster sugar and Gregg's spices in a bowl. Rub in the butter, stir in the fruit then add the yeast mixture and extra water. Mix to form a soft dough. Place onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 - 3 minutes or until smooth. Place in an oiled bowl, cover and leave in a warm place 30 to 40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Turn the dough out of the bowl and knead. Divide into 12 portions and shape each portion into a ball. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper making sure the portions are touching each other. Cover with a tea towel and leave in a warm place for 20 minutes.
To prepare the crosses
- Mix the ingredients into a paste.
- Pipe the paste onto the top of buns.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, brush with egg and return to oven for a further 5 minutes.