Mexican Chilli Butterflied BBQ Chicken
Turn your chicken up a notch with this flavorsome Mexican Chilli Chicken recipe. Serve with Mexican condiments, or in a wrap or tortilla for a real fiesta of tastes.
View the method
- 2 small whole chickens (butterflied)
- 1 tablespoon Gourmet Garden Lightly Dried Chilli
- 2 tablespoon Gourmet Garden Garlic Stir-In Paste
- 1 tablespoon Gourmet Garden Lightly Dried Basil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon (zested and juiced)
- 2 tablespoons cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
Back to ingredients
- Score the chicken thigh and breast with a knife.
- Prepare the marinade by combining the remaining ingredients in a bowl. Lay the butterflied chicken in a deep baking tray and pour over the marinade. Massage the marinade into the chicken for a couple of minutes then stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- During this time, prepare some fresh Mexican style condiments like guacamole, tomatoes, BBQ corn salsa, spiced sour cream and lime wedges to go with the chicken once cooked.
- Preheat the BBQ on a medium heat. Brush some olive oil on the grill and place the chicken, skin side down, and cook without moving for 5 minutes. Turn over and brush with some of the marinade every couple of minutes and cook for a further 10 minutes. Transfer the cooked chicken to a clean platter and cover with foil and set aside to rest for 5 minutes before serving with the condiments and warmed corn tortillas.