These can be great snacks or part of a meal, served with a green salad or seasonal vegetables.
View the method
- 500g lean Quality Mark beef or lamb mince
- 1 Tbsp canola or sunflower oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp tomato purée
- 420g jar tomato pasta sauce
- 1 tsp mixed herbs or 1 Tbsp chopped fresh herbs (optional)
- 8 slices fresh bread, crusts removed
- 2 tomatoes or 4 cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup cheese (eg Edam), grated
Back to ingredients
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, and cook the onion gently for 5-6 minutes, until tender. Add the mince, breaking up with the back of a spoon to form small pieces until cooked thoroughly and no longer pink. Stir in tomato purée, pasta sauce and herbs.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 30 minutes until reduced and thick, but still moist. Set aside.
- Line greased muffin tins with slices of fresh bread (crusts removed). Sandwich bread is best. If using toast bread, roll it out and flatten the bread first. Fill each with some of the mince mixture and top with a slice of tomato and a little grated cheese. Bake at 200°C for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with a green salad or seasonal vegetables.