Warm up your frozen fingers by wrapping your mitts around a spiced mulled wine this winter.
- 750ml red wine (a fruity Merlot is perfect)
- 150g castor sugar
- Peel of one lemon
- Peel of one orange
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 star anise
- a pinch of ground ginger
1. Pour the castor sugar into a large saucepan on medium heat. Pour in just enough of the wine to cover the sugar, then set the rest of the wine aside for later.
2. Add in all remaining ingredients (other than the red wine) to the saucepan. Cook for 5 minutes until the mixture becomes thick and sticky.
3. Add the rest of the wine and turn down the heat. Don't let the wine boil or evaporate. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
4. Pour the wine through a sieve before serving hot with slices of fresh orange.