A healthier twist on a kids' favourite packed with protein to help them keep feeling fuller for longer - plus, they'll love cracking a few eggs!
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of frozen vegetables
- ¼ cup grated cheese
- 1 tbsp oil
- Pour boiling water onto the frozen veggies and allow to defrost. Drain the water off, then pour boiling water on them again to make the veggies warmer.
- Beat the eggs and add the veggies.
- Heat the oil in a small non stick pan and add the egg mixture.
- Cook over a medium heat until the egg starts to set.
- Sprinkle over grated cheese and then put the pan under the grill to melt the cheese and finish cooking the egg.
Serving ideas: Tasty on its own but you can also serve with toast, pita bread or sticks of cucumber, chunks of avocado and cherry tomatoes.
Put your own spin on it:
You can use any veggies that your kids will eat! Grated courgette or chopped tomatoes maybe? Leftover cooked broccoli or carrots also work well.
Add in ham, pineapple, cooked chicken, chunks of cheese or any combos of normal pizza topping that your kids enjoy into the egg mix before you cook it.
Want to boost the fibre? Add a tablespoon of chia seeds to the mix to make a speckled pizza omelette. 1 tbsp of chia seeds has the same amount of fibre as 1.5 cups of vegetables.
Recipe by NZ Registered Nutritionist Claire Turnbull [claireturnbull.co.nz], Director of Mission Nutrition [missionnutrition.co.nz]
Find more inspiration and healthy ideas from Claire on Facebook [facebook.com] and Instagram [instagram.com]