Rustic Mince, Beans 'n Cheese Pie
A great meal to throw together for the family.
View the method
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 500g lean beef mince
- 400g can Wattie's Crushed & Sieved Tomatoes
- 1-2 tsp Marmite or Vegemite
- A good shake or two of Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce (about 1 Tbsp)
- 420g can Wattie's Baked BeaNZ
- 1/2 cup grated tasty cheese (about 50g)
- 1 or 2 sheets ready rolled flaky puff pastry (depending on the size of the dish being used)
- Milk or beaten egg for glazing
Back to ingredients
- Preheat oven to 200°C (fan bake). Heat a dash of oil in a frying pan and cook the onion until it begins to soften. Add beef mince and brown over a high heat, breaking up the mince if necessary with a fork.
- Stir in Wattie's Crushed & Sieved Tomatoes, Marmite and Lea and Perrins. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add Wattie's Baked BeaNZ and continue cooking for a further 10 minutes until the mince is cooked and beans are hot.
- Stir in grated cheese at the end of cooking. Spoon into a deep pie dish. Set aside to cool completely.
- Once the filling is cold, wet the edges of the pie dish with cold water. Place the pastry sheet over the pie dish, joining the 2 sheets together if necessary, leaving about 2cm hanging over the sides. Push the pastry down on the sides of the dish to seal. Roughly fold the overhanging pastry back onto the pie top, to create a double edge. Make a couple of cuts in the top of the pastry. Brush the top with a little milk or beaten egg.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 200°C. Reduce temperature to 180°C and cook a further 15-20 minutes until the filling is hot and pastry golden. Serve with your favourite vegetables.
For more tasty recipes, visit foodinaminute.co.nz