These delicious fishcakes are packed with flavour and are gobbled up by even the most reluctant fish eaters! You can also use tinned salmon or tuna fish. Ensure that the juice or oil is well drained and bones removed, before adding fish to the potato mix.
- 300g potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 25ml milk for steaming fish
- 350g salmon steak
- 2 to 3 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 2 to 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 50g grated gruyere cheese
- salt and pepper
- Peel and chop potatoes into chunks and bring to the boil in salted water in a medium sized saucepan. Cook until soft. Drain potatoes and mash together with the butter and a little of the milk. Set aside to cool a little.
- Gently steam salmon fillet in remaining milk - either covered with cling wrap in the microwave or on a low heat in a covered frying pan. Turn fish once to ensure even cooking.
- Remove from the milk and cool – then remove all bones and skin. Break the fish into pieces and add to the mashed potatoes. Fold in herbs and lemon juice, then cool the mixture, and season to taste. Add beaten egg to bind the mixture.
- Cover with cling wrap and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes. The mixture should be easier to handle and can be formed by hand into patties. Make sure they are an even thickness of no more than 2cm to ensure even heating. Coat each patty lightly with flour seasoned with salt and pepper, then dip in the remaining beaten egg before coating with breadcrumbs.
- Shallow fry in oil until golden brown. Serve hot with a bowl of aioli, lemon wedges and a green salad.