This is a very simple but very satisfying Middle Eastern-inspired, one-pan dish. It’s vegetarian, rich in flavour and a little bit spicy to perk up your dinner time.
This recipe is part of our budget meal plan for one.
- Olive Oil
- 1/2 Can of chopped tomatoes
- ½ Onion finely diced
- ½ tsp Crushed Garlic
- ½ Red capsicum finely diced
- ½ tsp of smoked paprika
- ½ tsp of cajun seasoning
- A pinch of dried cumin
- Salt to season
- 2 Large eggs
- 2 slices bread with butter or vegetable spread
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a small frying pan. Add the onion, garlic and red capsicum to the pan and cook until they begin to soften
- Add the tomatoes to the pan together with all of the spices and seasoning. Cook together for 5 minutes.
- Crack an egg into a cup. Then using a large spoon make a well in the tomato mixture and drop the egg in. Repeat making another well for the second egg.
- Cover the pan with a lid and allow the eggs to cook on medium for 5-10 minutes until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Serve in a large bowl with buttered toast on the side.
You can substitute the Cajun seasoning with cayenne pepper.
You can substitute the fresh red capsicum with ½ a roasted red pepper.