This large home-style shepherd's pie is great for serving the whole family!
View the method
- 500g lean Quality Mark lamb mince
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp flour
- ½ cup beef stock
- ½ cup good quality chutney
- 1-2 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1kg potatoes for mashing, peeled (topping)
- 2-3 Tbsp milk (topping)
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese (topping)
Back to ingredients
To make the topping:
- Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender.
- Drain and mash with milk and half the cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
To make the filling:
- Brown lamb mince in a dash of oil in a hot frying pan. Keep the temperature high so the meat browns and does not stew. This is best done in two batches. Set aside.
- Gently pan-fry the onion and parsnip in a little oil until tender. Stir in the flour and cook until frothy, gradually add the stock, stirring constantly until sauce thickens.
- Return the meat to the pan with the chutney and rosemary and season with salt and pepper.
- Turn into a large lasagna-style dish and cover with the mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with a little extra grated cheese if required.
- Bake at 180°C for about 30 minutes until golden and hot.