Shorty's Seafood Chowder
View the method
- 1 tablespoon olive or sunflower oil
- 2 litres of milk
- 2 small onions
- chopped salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper
- 6 celery stalks diced
- 100ml fish sauce
- 1 cup of sweet corn
- 500g firm white fish (i.e. monkfish, cod)
- 150g butter
- 150ml single cream
- 150g flour
- 500g marinara mix
- 2 litres fish stock (if no fish stock, water)
- fresh chopped parsley
Back to ingredients
- To make white sauce, melt butter in heavy based saucepan. Add flour and mix until it becomes a paste. Cook out for 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually pour in hot milk and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, sauté vegetables until soft.
- Add marinara mix and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Pour in your white sauce, fish stock and fish sauce. Season with salt, pepper and lemon pepper. Bring gently to the boil.
- Add in white fish and cream. Simmer for 8-10 minutes or until fish is cooked through.
- Taste and correct seasoning.
To serve: Sprinkle in freshly chopped parsley. Serve in a deep bowl with fresh crusty bread and butter.
Recipe by: Sharron Chittock, Head Chef. Monty's, Queenstown.