Potatoes, along with asparagus and strawberries, signal a new season – and when those gorgeous new season potatoes make their first appearance in spring rest assured they end up in the pot every night for weeks! When brand new, they don’t even need peeling – and the skin adds a slight tang to the spud anyway.
- 4 – 5 new potatoes per person
- salted water
- good quality olive oil
- 25g butter, melted (if you prefer)
- fresh herbs e.g. parsley, dill, chives or basil
- Bring salted water to the boil. Toss in the spuds. Boil for approximately 15 minutes or until a knife slides in and out smoothly – pick one spud to test so that you don’t massacre the lot.
- Drain. Smash lightly with a fork. Drizzle with olive oil or drop a little butter over them.
- Sprinkle over a little rock salt, season with pepper and if you wish garnish with a finely chopped herbs – depending on the flavours in your main dish.