Three Colour Lasagne
We’ll confess that on the odd occasion we just wanted to do something a little different with a traditional Minced dish. This light and delicious alternative to the usual heart-warming beef lasagne makes for a lovely lunch. Embrace the colours of Italy with the soft creamy chicken, fresh spinach and delicious red peppers.
- 400g Chicken Mince
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp lemon thyme, remove leaves from the stalks
- zest of one lemon
- olive oil
- 2 cups ricotta
- 2 large bunches of fresh table spinach leaves, stalk removed and roughly chopped
- 1 large handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup sliced roasted red peppers (these can be purchased ready made)
- 4 sheets fresh lasagne
- 2 cups freshly grated mozzarella or gruyere for a lovely nutty flavour
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 25g butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- salt and pepper
- Heat your oven to 180C.
- In a frypan gently cook your onion and garlic until transparent in a good splash of olive oil. Add the chicken and brown over a gentle heat making sure any large pieces are broken up. Add the lemon zest and the lemon thyme and stir through - cook for a further five minutes then remove from the pan and set aside. In the same pan, heat another splash of olive oil and then add the spinach leaves and basil. Allow to wilt and reduce. Stir the ricotta through the greens until well blended - season liberally with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Grease a lasagne or pie dish lightly with olive oil. Lay down your first sheet of lasagne pasta. Spoon the chicken mixture into the dish and spread evenly.
- Top with a second sheet of pasta. Spoon in the spinach, basil and ricotta and spread evenly.
- Lay another lasagne sheet on top then lay the sliced roasted red peppers evenly over the pasta sheet. Top with the remaining pasta sheet.
- In a saucepan melt the measure of butter, then add the flour and stir to make a paste. Add the nutmeg, milk and your choice of cheese and stir over a gentle heat until you have a scrumptious cheese sauce. Taste and season with salt and pepper if required.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the lasagne and ensure it is spread evenly. Then pop the lasagne into the oven to bake for at least 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Serve with a simple green salad.