Beef and Bean Spaghetti Bolognese
Quick, easy - this recipe makes a great dinner and with the addition of baked beans, it's filling, nutritious and the kids will love it!
This recipe is also a part of our Beef Recipe Collection.
View the method
- 1 onion, chopped
- 300g lean beef mince
- 420g can Wattie's Original Pasta Sauce
- 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 420g can Wattie's Baked Beans
- 400g spaghetti pasta
- Shaved Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Fresh basil (optional)
Back to ingredients
- Heat a dash of oil in a frying pan and cook the onion until it begins to soften. Add beef mince and brown.
- Stir in Wattie's Original Pasta Sauce and mixed herbs. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add Wattie's Baked Beans and continue cooking for a further 5 minutes until mince is cooked and beans are hot.
- While Bolognese sauce is cooking, cook spaghetti pasta according to packet directions.
- Garnish with shaved Parmesan cheese and basil. Serve with seasonal vegetables.
- How lean should beef be for bolognese?
Bolognese is most often made with either ground beef or veal. Ground beef chuck with 20 percent fat will make an excellent start for a flavorful sauce.
- Should you drain mince before adding sauce?
While Bolognese and other rich sauces benefit from flavoursome full-fat mince, neglecting to drain off excess grease after browning may flood the sauce with an oily layer that will make it unpleasant to eat.