This buckwheat crepe recipe, popular in France, is worth the effort. Add fresh herbs, wilted greens or cottage cheese to the minced filling for a lighter version. Be creative with what you have on hand.
View the method
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 250g Prime Beef Mince
- 2 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 210g can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 5 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
Back to ingredients
- Make the filling first – or use meat sauce leftovers if you have them.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add onion to soften. Add the minced beef and cook together for 10 to 15 minutes until the onions are caramelised and the beef is browned. Add tamari, canned tomatoes (drain off excess juice) and paste. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often to ensure even cooking. The mixture should reduce by a third. Add the basil, then remove from the heat and keep warm while you make the buckwheat crepes.
- Sift the flours and combine with salt in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl melt the butter and cool before whisking in the milk and eggs. Add the liquid ingredients to the flour mixture a little at a time, whisking to break up any large pieces. Blend until smooth. If the batter is at all lumpy, pass it through a sieve.
- Melt a little butter in a non-stick frying pan and ladle in about a 1/4 cup of the batter lightly coating the pan. Take off the heat and swirl to cover the bottom of the pan evenly with batter. Return to the heat. When small bubbles form in the batter, turn the crepe over and cook until golden brown. Continue cooking one by one, turning the crepes onto a plate. Cover with a towel to keep warm. Makes approximately 8 crepes.
- To make up the crepes as shown, spoon some of the mince mixture in the centre of each crepe. Fold the crepes over and place on warmed individual serving plates. You can also garnish them with melted cheese and lightly grill for 10 minutes until golden brown.