Fajitas are a really simple one pan meal to enjoy midweek. They are full of vibrant colours and delicious Mexican-inspired flavours. This recipe makes enough for two meals for one person. The cooked chicken onion and capsicum filling can be kept in the refrigerator for pup to three days so is perfect for meal prepping on one day and reheating and serving on another day. This recipe is part of our budget meal plan for one.
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Crushed garlic
- Olive oil
- 2 Chicken breasts finely sliced
- 1 Red Onion finely sliced
- 1 Red Capsicum sliced lengthways
- 2 tsp of lime juice
- Crushed chili sauce
- 4 Tortillas
- Mesclun salad leaves
- Tub of Pam’s salsa dip – optional (choose mild, medium or hot option)
- Mix the smoked paprika, coriander, cumin and garlic together in a bowl. Add a pinch of salt. Slice the chicken breast and toss in the spice mixture
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add a tablespoon of oil to lightly coat it. Sear the chicken pieces for 8-10 minutes until cooked through. Remove from the pan to rest.
- Add a teaspoon of olive oil to the pan with the onion, capsicum and crushed chili sauce and sauté until caramelised.
- Add the chicken back into the pan, add the lime juice and stir everything together.
- Warm 2 tortillas in the oven.
- Pile the chicken mixture over the 2 tortillas and top with some salad leaves and a spoonful of salsa, then wrap and serve.
Place the remaining chicken, salsa and wraps in the refrigerator to enjoy for dinner on Saturday.
If you have any leftover sweet corn you could chargrill it and add to the chicken mix.
The salsa is optional but adds a delicious freshness to the dish.
Other toppings you could include are guacamole or sour cream.