Cream of Chicken Soup
There's nothing better on a cold day than chicken soup! Try this delicious Ingham chicken recipe.
View the method
- 1.5 kg Ingham whole chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 40g butter
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, diced
- 3 sticks celery, trimmed, diced
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 300ml light thickened cream
- 1/3 cup Continental parsley leaves, roughly chopped – optional
- Crusty bread, to serve
Back to ingredients
- Put chicken into a large saucepan and cover with 8 cups of cold water. Place over a high heat and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 45-55 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from heat and cool. Remove chicken from stock and place onto a large plate. When cool enough to touch, remove meat. Discard skin and bones.
- Chop or shred chicken meat and place into a bowl. Transfer stock to a large bowl. Wash saucepan.
- Heat oil and butter in saucepan over a medium heat. When butter is melted, add onion, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables. Stir until well combined.
- Remove saucepan from heat and slowly add cream, stirring constantly, until combined. Add 2 cups of reserved stock.
- Return saucepan to heat and stir until mixture comes to the boil. Slowly add a further 6 cups of stock, stirring until combined. Bring mixture to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add chicken to saucepan. Stir until combined. Cook for 5 minutes or until chicken is heated through.
- Ladle into serving bowls. Top with parsley and serve with bread.