Kiwi Steak and Onion Sandwich
A delicious lunch or dinner option to satisfy your tastebuds. The onions can also be cooked on the BBQ grill - just use a low temperature to allow them to caramelise.
View the method
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup Cottee's Maple Flavoured Syrup
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4x 125g sirloin thin cut steaks, trimmed, about 1cm thickness
- 1 ciabatta loaf, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/2 cup Eta Kiwi-style Onion Mayonnaise
- Mesclun salad leaves
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
Back to ingredients
- Heat a dash of oil in a saucepan. Add the onions.
- Cover and cook over a medium heat until they begin to soften.
- Remove the lid and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes until the onions start to change colour. Add Cottee's Maple Flavoured Syrup and balsamic vinegar. Stir.
- Continue to cook over a medium heat uncovered for a further 30-35 minutes, until the onions are soft and caramelised, and the liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
- BBQ or quickly pan fry the sirloin steaks over a high heat until just cooked, turning once during cooking.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Cut ciabatta pieces in half. Spread the tops and the bottoms of the bread with Eta Kiwi-style Onion Mayonnaise.
- Top half the bread with mesclun leaves, tomato slices, steak and caramelised onions. Cover with the remaining bread pieces.
For more tasty recipes, visit foodinaminute.co.nz