This recipe is totally Kiwi. You can gather the mussels from your local beach or happily they are also readily available fresh at your local supermarket.
View the method
- 30g butter
- 1/2 cup self raising flour
- 1/2 cup coconut cream or milk
- 1 large red kumara, boiled, cooled and mashed
- 1 cup mussels, roughly minced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper
Back to ingredients
- Melt butter in a saucepan over gentle heat, and add the flour mixing to form a smooth paste. Gradually whisk in the coconut milk, stirring continuously until the mixture thickens. Stir in minced mussels and mashed kumara. Lastly, add beaten egg and season with salt, pepper and herbs.
- Melt a little butter into a non stick frying pan and ladle in batter to form fritters. When small bubbles form in the batter, turn the fritter over and cook until golden brown. Keep covered in a warm oven until ready to heat.
- Serve with lemon wedges.